Proper method of tarring to a pipe, without ``blocksize=1'' later?

Malcolm Carlock malc at equinox.unr.edu
Sat Mar 30 13:42:36 AEST 1991

When using a command of the form

	tar cf - file ... | rsh somewhere dd of=/dev/rmt0

Is there a way of getting the remote dd to write the tape such that
the blocksize of the final tar image on tape is something other than 1?

I've tried "ibs=1 obs=512", no ibs/obs args at all, and various other
ibs/obs combinations, and a number of conv options.  I still get
"tar: blocksize=1" each time I subsequently try a tar [tx] on the tape
(directly, on the remote machine.)

Grrr.

Malcolm L. Carlock                      Internet:  malc at unr.edu
                                        UUCP:      unr!malc