vi question - unknown terminal type

Edward P. Ratazzi ratazzie at lonex.radc.af.mil
Sat Mar 2 06:44:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar01.091710.25962 at pilikia.pegasus.com> art at pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
>In article <967 at twg.bc.ca> bill at twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
>>ratazzie at lonex.radc.af.mil (Edward P. Ratazzi) writes:
>>
>>} Recently, I added some new termcap entries to the end of our /etc/termcap
>>} file.  Everything seems to work O.K. with these terminals, EXCEPT vi.
>>} When vi is started, we get an 'Unknown terminal type' message.  The terminal
>>} name IS in /etc/termcap.  Where else does vi look?  What might be the problem?
>>
>>I've also seen situations where a previous termcap description
>>does not terminate correctly, thereby including your new terminal
>>definition as part of the previous one.
>
>Or perhaps the system Edward is on has terminfo.
>If his system does have terminfo, vi probably uses it.
>--
Yup, that's it.  I had just upgraded from SunOS 4.0.3 to SunOS 4.1.1.  In
that upgrade, vi goes from being termcap-dependent to terminfo-dependent.
So, after I modified termcap, I had to "tic" (see man tic) the termcap into
the terminfo database. --> Problem solved.

--
E. Paul Ratazzi                                |      ratazzie at lonex.radc.af.mil
Microelectronics Reliability Division          |            COMPMAIL:  e.ratazzi