vi question - unknown terminal type

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Mar 3 05:56:29 AEST 1991

>Yup, that's it.  I had just upgraded from SunOS 4.0.3 to SunOS 4.1.1.  In
>that upgrade, vi goes from being termcap-dependent to terminfo-dependent.

And for those of you curious why this was done, read the message titled
"vi and non-ascii characters" in this very newsgroup/mailing list - the
SunOS 4.1[.x] "vi" is based on the System V Release 3.1 "vi", because
the latter version, unlike the 4.3BSD-vintage "vi" used prior to that,
supports 8-bit character sets such as ISO Latin #1, and making the
4.3BSD-vintage one handle 8-bit character sets would have been a lot
more complicated than just switching to the S5R3.1 "vi".