removing hard linked directories

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Mar 27 05:19:20 AEST 1991

>Some versions of UNIX do not have the rename() call. As such, to do a mv,
>they implement a link(), then an unlink(). Here is what probably happened.

Well, maybe.

On the other hand, I've seen Ms. Milner post in "comp.sys.sun" in the
past; if the machine in question is a Sun, its version of UNIX most
definitely has "rename()" (her postings indicated that she's not running
Sun-1s with Unisoft V7 :-)).  And yes, the Sun code *is*, in fact, a bit
brain-damaged; the "rename()" code gets halfway through the operation,
and then bails out because the directory is sticky, without backing the
stuff it's already done out.