removing hard linked directories

Ruth Milner rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Mar 27 13:36:19 AEST 1991

In article <6833 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>Some versions of UNIX do not have the rename() call. As such, to do a mv,
>>they implement a link(), then an unlink(). Here is what probably happened.
>
>Well, maybe.
>
>On the other hand, I've seen Ms. Milner post in "comp.sys.sun" in the
>past; if the machine in question is a Sun, its version of UNIX most
>definitely has "rename()" (her postings indicated that she's not running
>Sun-1s with Unisoft V7 :-)).

In this particular instance, it's a Solbourne running OS/MP 4.0c = SunOS 4.0.3.
I'd try it on some of my "real" Suns, but I'm not keen on the results :-}.

>And yes, the Sun code *is*, in fact, a bit
>brain-damaged; the "rename()" code gets halfway through the operation,
>and then bails out because the directory is sticky, without backing the
>stuff it's already done out.

Only the parent directory, /usr/tmp itself, was sticky, not the directory I
was attempting to mv - or is this what you mean?
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM
                            rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu