Issue file not read and displayed by getty

Charles Wolff charles at caffeine.UUCP
Thu Mar 7 05:10:16 AEST 1991

In article <26171 at adm.brl.mil> Bhargis at mrsa1 writes:
}We have recently installed an AT&T 3B2 machine runing SYS5V3 in our office,,
}as I work for the Army,,,,we are required by our office to post a warning
}about illeagle entry into this machine without an assigned Userid is in
}violation of government regulations......the problem is (according to
}tech support from AT&T,,,the getty program has been compiled with the
}/etc/issue file no oped out,,,,any answers on how I can get this to
}work,,,being as I don,t have access to getty source to re-compile.

Tried replying and it bounced... probably my mailer's fault, but,
anyway... here's what worked on my Motorola SYS5V3.2 type system.

One approach to this is to modify /etc/gettydefs so that, instead of
printing "login:", it actually prints your warning message.  You
want to be careful about doing this on any line that uucp will be
coming in on, but then, a voluminus /etc/issue file will cause trouble
there, too...

Here's what worked for me:  I took the standard "9600" entry from
our /etc/gettydefs file:

9600# B9600 HUPCL # B9600 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #login: #4800

and made a "9600CW" version:

9600CW# B9600 HUPCL OPOST ONLCR # B9600 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #
Hey!  This is supersecret gummint stuff!
Unauthorized logins will be forced to eat in the cafeteria!
login: #9600

Note that I had to set "OPOST" and "ONLCR" in the "initial-flags"
field so that I'd get a carriage-return with each newline...

/etc/getty has a '-c' option you can use to "check" the gettydefs
file after modifying it to make sure you didn't do something
illegal...

Then, I changed /etc/inittab so that my terminal was using the
9600CW gettydefs entry instead of 9600.  Log off, log back in and
get the new prompt...

Charles Wolff