How to set up kermit instead of telnet???

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Mon Mar 11 09:48:10 AEST 1991

In article <38990 at netnews.upenn.edu>, duong at eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
|> I am running FLUENT in SunOS 4.1 and I need to use tek4010 terminal emulation
|> to display the graphics. But in  here we use "telnet" to connect to the
|> net work so there is no way i can change the term to tek4010. I know that
|> kermit 2.3 has the option "set term tek4010", so is it possible to use a
|> local kermit to connect to the network instead of telnet?? i read the kermit
|> manual and have no idea how to set the line to connect to the network??What
|> am i supposed to do in order to use kermit?? Thanks for your responses..

  Um, "kermit 2.3" on which system?  The only kermit I know of that would be
installed on a SunOS 4.1 system is C-kermit from Columbia, and that has
version numbers that look like "4E(072)", not like "2.3", and "set term
tek4010" doesn't work on it.  If the kermit you're talking about is the one on
your SunOS machine, then could you give a little bit more information about it?

  Are you saying that you have a version of kermit on a PC that knows how to
do tek4010 terminal emulation?  If so, that's very different from getting
kermit on a Unix-like system to do the same thing.

  Now, if what you're really saying is that you've got a tek4010 emulator on
your SunOS machine, but you don't know how to tell telnet to use the terminal
type tek4010 when connecting to a remote system, you can probably do that by
setting the TERM environment variable to tek4010 before running telnet.  You
can also set the TERM environment variable (and reset or unset TERMCAP if
necessary) on the remote host after you have connected with telnet.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace