How to set up kermit instead of telnet???

ROBOCOP duong at eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 12 03:16:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar10.234810.27880 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <38990 at netnews.upenn.edu>, duong at eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
>|> I am running FLUENT in SunOS 4.1 and I need to use tek4010 terminal emulation
>|> to display the graphics. But in  here we use "telnet" to connect to the
>|> net work so there is no way i can change the term to tek4010. I know that
>|> kermit 2.3 has the option "set term tek4010", so is it possible to use a
>|> local kermit to connect to the network instead of telnet?? i read the kermit
>|> manual and have no idea how to set the line to connect to the network??What
>|> am i supposed to do in order to use kermit?? Thanks for your responses..
>
>  Um, "kermit 2.3" on which system?  The only kermit I know of that would be
>installed on a SunOS 4.1 system is C-kermit from Columbia, and that has
>version numbers that look like "4E(072)", not like "2.3", and "set term
>tek4010" doesn't work on it.  If the kermit you're talking about is the one on
>your SunOS machine, then could you give a little bit more information about it?
>
>  Are you saying that you have a version of kermit on a PC that knows how to
>do tek4010 terminal emulation?  If so, that's very different from getting
>kermit on a Unix-like system to do the same thing.
>
>  Now, if what you're really saying is that you've got a tek4010 emulator on
>your SunOS machine, but you don't know how to tell telnet to use the terminal
>type tek4010 when connecting to a remote system, you can probably do that by
>setting the TERM environment variable to tek4010 before running telnet.  You
>can also set the TERM environment variable (and reset or unset TERMCAP if
>necessary) on the remote host after you have connected with telnet.
>
>--
>Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
>MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
>jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
>Office: 617-253-8085			      Home: 617-782-0710

Thank you to all who responsed my question.
Sorry about my ambiguity question, I meant that I would like to use kermit as
a local to connect to a network e.g eniac.seas.upenn.edu (which is SunOS 4.1).
The "telnet" does the job but it doesn't change the local terminal emulator to
tek4010. Yes, I know that I can change envirorment term to tek4010 in the sun
by setting ther "term tek" (I received most of the answer for this method)..
But NO, some how FLUENT doesn't work this way. We have to change the local
terminal emulator before we display the graphics (I have know ideas why is
this happen though, my system adm said it doesn't matter at all if we change
the term type to tek when we are running on the Sun). I did try to read the
kermit 3.02 manual for setting up the connection and it seem useless...So
here again, what do i have to do to set up kermit instead of using telnet..
Assuming that "telnet" is a client to connect to your network and your network
is the same as mine..Thank you for your responses..

						duc

duong at eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP):
> Hi..
>
> I am running FLUENT in SunOS 4.1 and I need to use tek4010 terminal emulation
> to display the graphics. But in  here we use "telnet" to connect to the
> net work so there is no way i can change the term to tek4010. I know that
> kermit 2.3 has the option "set term tek4010", so is it possible to use a
> local kermit to connect to the network instead of telnet?? i read the kermit
> manual and have no idea how to set the line to connect to the network??What
> am i supposed to do in order to use kermit?? Thanks for your responses..
As long as the terminal you are sitting it can do 4010 stuff, then
after you telnet to the remote system, and sign on, set your
terminal type to "tek4010", and run your application.  Telnet
won't molest the bits, so they should display just fine on
your screen (as long as your screen is 4010 compatable).

Setting the terminal varies with the shell you use.  For csh
	setenv TERM tek4010
	unsetenv TERMCAP
	unsetenv TERMINFO
will cause the system termcap (or terminfo database, depending
on what type of software you use) to be queried for info on
terminal type "tek4010".  As long as that's defined on the
target machine, you should be in business.

Hope this helps,
Ric (ric at cs.arizona.edu <Ric Anderson>)

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 91 19:16:59 cst
From: Xing Wu <wuxing at comp.mscs.mu.edu>
To: duong at eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: How to set up kermit instead of telnet???
Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions

In article <38990 at netnews.upenn.edu> you write:
>I am running FLUENT in SunOS 4.1 and I need to use tek4010 terminal emulation
>to display the graphics. But in  here we use "telnet" to connect to the
>net work so there is no way i can change the term to tek4010. I know that
>kermit 2.3 has the option "set term tek4010", so is it possible to use a
>local kermit to connect to the network instead of telnet?? i read the kermit
>manual and have no idea how to set the line to connect to the network??What
>am i supposed to do in order to use kermit?? Thanks for your responses..

You normally can't connect to a network with kermit; you'd need a
dialers entry for the network (which might be possible), but you'd
also need a getty-equivalent running on the other side.

Why, specifically, can't you set the term to tek4010 when you connect?
I'm not familiar with FLUENT; I assume that you don't/can't get a shell
so you can set the environmental variable.

I believe that the telnet client merely reads the environment to get
the terminal type that it reports to the remote.  Therefore, it ought
to be possible for you to set your terminal type on the local machine
before connecting.  If you don't want to mess up your real environment,
you can just make a shell script:

TERM=tek4010; export TERM
telnet foobar