Questions about rewriting the History function.

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Wed Oct 24 01:07:24 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct21.010205.24695 at cbnewsh.att.com> wcs at cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:
>The old Bourne shell (/bin/sh) doesn't do history.
>The C shell does, with the ugly !! command-based interface.
>The Korn shell (ksh) does history, stores it in a file, and gives
>	you an editor-interface as well as a command-based interface.
>Various intellectual derivatives like BASH and tcsh are similar.
>The 9th edition shell gave you something lean, mean, and clean, as always.
>The adventure shell doesn't have history, but it has xyzzy. :-)

I want *both* real history editing, as in ksh's real vi mode and not
tcsh's abortion of the same, as well as expression history (!f:s/x/b),
which may be ugly, but is quite convenient.  But ksh won't do asynch job
notification, key rebinding, or spelling correction, so I'm stuck with an
abomination of a shell.

--tom