Sounds trivial, but it's not (I don't think)

Paul Chamberlain tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com
Tue Oct 2 02:51:56 AEST 1990

On 27 Sep 90 21:04:58 GMT, Sean Fulton <sean at utoday.uucp> wrote:
> [..snipped..]
> This has been somewhat reliable, but only allows for one file
> per call. Given that there is a modem shortage on the remote end, this
> is unacceptable.
>
> So, does anyone have any ideas on how to do something like:
>
> ~!for a in `ls files`
> [..snipped..]

This may be functionally equivalent to an earlier response but it
was not clear from that response.

I didn't see the original posting but I will assume (since it's harder),
that you want to sleep between each file.  Hopefully, it's obvious what
to do if this isn't the case.

You could do one of the following:

	for a in `ls files`
	do
		echo sleep 10
		echo cat $a
		echo sleep 10
	done > /tmp/cu.cmd

	cu system <<\!
	~$sh /tmp/cu.cmd
	!

	rm /tmp/cu.cmd

or this might even work:

	for a in `ls files`
	do
		sleep 10
		cat $a
		sleep 10
	done | cu system

These weren't tested.  I think the '\!' is required to keep the $sh from
being expanded by the shell.  Extra credit for making the temp filename
a variable.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM         tif at doorstop, sc30661 at ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif