Background writes in csh

Paul Lindner lindner at cs.umn.edu
Thu Sep 20 06:38:03 AEST 1990

I've been having a weird problem for the longest time.  I like to use`
aliases for my ls command:

   alias ls 'ls -FC \!* |more'

This works fine, however sometimes it stops both tasks and puts them in
the background, (this is on various Suns using csh and tcsh).  Typing
fg restarts the listing.  This is really irritating, typing fg and all.

I've also had this problem on the IBM RS/6000.  Except in this case
typing fg just hangs the shell.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.