Background writes in csh

Gordon C. Galligher gorpong at ping.uucp
Fri Sep 21 04:51:47 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep19.203803.25798 at cs.umn.edu> lindner at cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) writes:
>I've been having a weird problem for the longest time.  I like to use`
>aliases for my ls command:
>
>   alias ls 'ls -FC \!* |more'
>
>This works fine, however sometimes it stops both tasks and puts them in
>the background, (this is on various Suns using csh and tcsh).  Typing
>fg restarts the listing.  This is really irritating, typing fg and all.

More(1) is the problem here.  I have not quite figured it out, but I had a
similar problem when my users would type:  history | more and it would do
the same thing.  When they use history | less  it works every time.  I
really hate it when people come on and say "use this tool instead" but in
this instance, it really is the only way I was able to work around the
problem.  It is immaterial that less is better than more (IMHO), in this
instance it makes things work.

		-- Gordon.
--
Gordon C. Galligher	9127 Potter Rd. #2E	Des. Plaines, Ill.    60016-4881
     telxon!ping%gorpong at uunet.uu.net (not tested)  (Is this even legal??)