bourne shell query

Bob Goudreau goudreau at dg-rtp.dg.com
Sat Sep 8 05:43:20 AEST 1990

In article <SCOTT.90Sep6120011 at tab00.larc.nasa.gov>,
scott at tab00.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Yelich) writes:

>    |> Sometimes people program for the ART of it (Oh no! Did I say
that?)
>    |> for instance, which do you prefer?  Which do you consider
better

>    My wife and I have for a long time had an inside joke:  "I can't
>    understand
>    it.  It must be Art."  I never thought I'd apply it to a shell
>    script...
>
> Please read the charter [?] for this group!
>
> I believe programming is an art... and if you program in sh, then
> that can be an art too.

So let me get this straight:

Making shell scripts needlessly obscure (i.e., no increase in either
functionality or performance, and a downright *decrease* in
readability) is supposed to be a *good thing* ??!!

Call it "art" if you will, and feel free to start a rec.arts.shell
newsgroup.  I prefer to call it "bad software engineering".

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau at dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
USA