Background writes in csh

David N. Blank dnb at meshugge.media.mit.edu
Tue Sep 25 00:57:48 AEST 1990

> I've been meaning to switch over to less so many times, but only ONE
> thing stopped me. It appears superior in many ways, but for one
> annoying inconvenience (IMHO). At the very end of the article, you
> HAVE to type q to quit. With more, I just hit the spacebar as the last
> screenfull pours over my screen and that's it. Does any body have any
> suggestions as to how I can make less behave like more?

Well, from Mr. Manpage:

: OPTIONS
: ...
:      -e   Normally the only way to exit less is via the "q" com-
:           mand.  The -e option tells less to automatically exit
:          the second time it reaches end-of-file.
:
:     -E   The -E flag causes less to exit the first time it
:          reaches end-of-file.

You can also set the environment variable "LESS" to contain "-E" and
any other options which will be used every time you envoke less.
Enjoy.
                Peace,
                    dNb