restricted shell sought

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Sat Apr 27 12:25:44 AEST 1991

In article <JC.91Apr25135941 at raven.bu.edu- jc at raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:
->>>>> On 25 Apr 91 04:03:44 GMT, jmason at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Jamie Mason) said:
-
-JM> In article <29183 at fs1.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson at NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) writes:

-> Basically what i'm looking for is a shell that
->will only allow the user to access a specific subset of commands, and
->not progress upwards beyond a certain point in the directory tree.

-JM> 	Sorry if there was a little too much flame in there.  I was
-JM> subjected to just such a restricted shell in the past, and it left a
-JM> permanent scar.  :-)

-Well, this is definately sometimes necessary.  Take the following example:

-We have two full disks containing only data for our lab.  We need
-to allow read access to this data, but nothing else. We don't have
-the disk space to simply copy the data over to the ftp files.  So,
-basically, restricted shells *are* needed for special cases.  Maybe
-I am forgetting something, but I don't think so.  *8-)

How about mounting the drives read only.

/etc/mount /dev/whatever /wherever -r

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP