public domain ksh sources - where ?

Mark Harrison harrison at necssd.NEC.COM
Fri Apr 12 00:01:38 AEST 1991

In article <2797 at sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>,
john at chook.ua.oz (John Warburton) writes:
> In reading the Korn Shell book by David Korn, page 4 gives you a bunch of
> phone numbers aroiund the world where you can get source code to ksh from
> AT&T via the "AT&T UNIX System Toolchest software distributiuon system".
>
> So, from this I would assume that it is in the public domain...
> So, is it possible to get it straight from AT&T on the Internet??
>
> Am I making some foolish assumption here - or can I pick up the official source
> to ksh out there??

The number allows access to their online browsing/ordering system.
Once you have executed a Toolchest Licence, it is a pretty slick
system.  When you want to buy something, you log in, place your
order, giving them a PO number.  They deliver the package overnight
via uucp, and send you a bill in the mail.

It works very well, *once* you have been able to get the licensing
stuff.  I did this at two companies, and in both cases it took over
a month.  Once you have this, the toolchest administrator is very
efficient.

In any case, try browsing the toolchest... It's pretty interesting.
Mark Harrison             harrison at ssd.dl.nec.com
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison
standard disclaimers apply...