rsh guru req'd!

Dave Eisen dkeisen at leland.Stanford.EDU
Tue Apr 23 10:35:18 AEST 1991

In article <6226 at iron6.UUCP> yeates at motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) writes:
>The rsh man page includes the following line:-
>"The current local environment is not passed  to  the  remote shell."

It isn't, and there is no real way to get around this. What I usually
do when I want to pass something to a remote shell is to explicitly set the
environment variable in the command, something like (using /bin/sh as the
login shell):

rsh silicon "VARIABLE=$VARIABLE; export VARIABLE; command-line"

--
Dave Eisen                           dkeisen at leland.Stanford.EDU
1101 San Antonio Raod, Suite 102     (Gang-of-Four is being taken off the net)