public domain ksh sources - where ?

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Wed Apr 10 12:57:51 AEST 1991

In article <2797 at sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>, john at chook.ua.oz (John Warburton) writes:
|> In reading the Korn Shell book by David Korn, page 4 gives you a bunch of
|> phone numbers aroiund the world where you can get source code to ksh from
|> AT&T via the "AT&T UNIX System Toolchest software distributiuon system".
|>
|> So, from this I would assume that it is in the public domain...
|> So, is it possible to get it straight from AT&T on the Internet??

  I don't understand the logic you're implying here.  Why can you conclude
from the fact that you can call a phone number in order to arrange to get
source code, that the source code is public domain?

  In fact, when you call the phone number you have to arrange to *pay AT&T
money* to get the source code.  AT&T's ksh is not in the public domain.

  There is, however, a public domain version of ksh, which is what we've been
discussing here.  I won't mention how to get it again, since I just did that a
few days ago :-)

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace