tcsh source without csh source license

Brett McCoy brtmac at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu
Fri Apr 5 12:17:41 AEST 1991

In <3471 at litchi.bbn.com> rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:

>tom at itc.univie.ac.at (Tom Kovar) writes:
>>   I remember some time ago I heard about tcsh source which did not require
>>   the csh source for compilation ...

>In <1991Mar31.114804.13952 at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> tar at math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:
>It's not a myth; I use it here.  Grab the 4.3bsd-reno csh sources from
>>wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) or wherever else they are ...

>I'm not sure what Tim is using, but it isn't the "free'd" Reno
>distribution.  The csh directory in the source tree includes csh.1,
>pathnames.h and doprnt.c -- hardly enough to build csh!

>You cannot build tcsh without having csh sources.  You currently
>cannot get csh sources without having an BSD source license.  You
>cannot get a BSD source license without having an ATT source license.

>It is possible that csh will show up in part of the free'd BSD
>sources when 4.4 comes out.  This will not be a full Unix release,
>just stuff known to not have AT&T licensing restrictions.

If you take what is in the csh directory in the 4.3-reno distribution, and
apply the tcsh-reno patches to it, it will build.  That is how the tcsh I
am running on my SPARCStation-1 was built, as well as the tcsh running on
a Sun 3/60, Solbourne 5/600, etc.  Until you actually try it and fail,
please don't tell us that we are running code which can't possibly exist.

--
Brett McCoy			Computing and Telecommunications Activities
brtmac at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu	Kansas State University