tcsh source without csh source license

Tim Ramsey tar at math.ksu.edu
Wed Apr 3 01:18:07 AEST 1991

christos at theory.tn.cornell.edu (Christos S. Zoulas) writes:

>tar at math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:

[ ... ]

>>The freed BSD sources contain most of the csh sources.  I think there are
>>some parts that aren't yet freed of ATT code.  The tcsh patches include
>>replacements for what isn't in the BSD sources.

>>It works, trust me.  :)

>This is news to me :-)... I have not seen any 'freed' csh source around
>the internet. I am pretty sure that there are no freed csh sources (with
>the exception of doprnt.c and the Makefile). I also happen to know that
>most of the AT&T code in csh is in sh.glob.c and tcsh does not provide
>a replacement for it. If you have found a place in the internet where
>you can get csh sources via anonymous ftp, that place is illegally
>distributing AT&T sources.

ftp to wuarchive.wustl.edu.  Look in /unix/4.3bsd-reno/bin/csh/Makefile/*
The sources are in there.  If the sources there are covered by ATT copyright
they should, of course, be removed from public access.

I used these sources, together with the files I downloaded from
ee.cornell.edu in /pub/tcsh-5.20/tcsh.reno-5.20.02.tar.Z to build a real,
live, working tcsh on my sourceless Sun-3s and Sun-4s.  Really.  :-)

I recognize that Christos is the one who puts out tcsh, and so would be
in a better position than I to know about this.  But really, it works!

Tim
--
Tim Ramsey/system administrator/tar at math.ksu.edu/(913) 532-6750/2-7004 (FAX)
Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506-2602