public domain ksh sources - where ?

Simon J Gerraty sjg at melb.bull.oz.au
Fri Apr 19 09:56:05 AEST 1991

In <91103.005514QQ11 at LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> QQ11 at LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Alan Thew) writes:
>In article <22341 at yunexus.YorkU.CA>, oz at yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) says:
>>Ksh is now being bundled with various systems, for example ULTRIX.
>>I would not be surprised to see it in the next release of SunOS as well.
>>
>>The public domain ksh (originally by Erik Gisin) is a subset of ksh,
>>something like a minimalist version. By and large, it works.

>The opinions I've heard say that the PD version is more like an
>improved sh or a very small subset of ksh. OK if you want a shell
>for nothing but not if you want something even close to the 'real
>thing'

Well I'm using the that PD ksh on some sun's.  I use a real ksh
on our Bull DPX/2.  After adding a few simple features to the PD
shell (like editing lines longer than the screen width, and
retrieving words from the previous command line).  I switch
between the DPX/2 and sun all day (side by side on the sun's
console) and its hard to tell the difference.

Mind you I _only_ write scripts for /bin/sh, so I guess I
wouldn't notice some of the missing features in the PD ksh.  For
interactive work its fine.

Now if only I could find who posted the sources I have modified
so that my updates can be shared...

--
Simon J. Gerraty		<sjg at melb.bull.oz.au>

#include <disclaimer,_witty_comment>