A visual unix shell?

Craig Macbride s900387 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
Wed Feb 6 19:54:31 AEST 1991

shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>heymann at cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jurgen Heymann) writes:

>>Is there a Norton Commander like unix shell somewhere? If not, is anyone
>>interested and motivated in building one? Maybe we then should have a
>>discussion about desired features as well? If there is no "visual shell"
>>out there yet (I'm not aware of any), I want to suggest an effort to
>>make/get/... one in the discussion below.

>	Not only is there a "NC like" unix shell, but the Norton Utilities
>are now available for Interactive and AT&T's UNIX/386 implementations.

I only hope they aren't as badly written as Norton's Utilities for the PC!
Consider the nasty drawbacks here, eg:
 1: If you have the DOS switch character set to anything other than '/',
nothing works
 2: Norton's can't work across 'join'ed directories
 3: More than about 4000 files in a 30MB partition, and 'nu' spits the dummy

If Norton's stuff continues to be this unwieldy, the last thing I'd want to do
is subject my Unix system to it.