Norton Go Home! We don't want you!

uunet!bria!mike uunet!bria!mike
Mon Feb 11 09:15:23 AEST 1991

In an article, minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au!s900387 (Craig Macbride) writes:
>If Norton's stuff continues to be this unwieldy, the last thing I'd want to do
>is subject my Unix system to it.

<< Flame On! >>

I just read this most _nauseating_ review by Steven Vaughan-Nichols in
this month's Computer Shopper.  Let me provide you with a few entertaining
highlights ...

	"If you're especially unlucky, you key in 'rm -rf' and then you
	 really start screaming.  That's because you've just deleted every
	 file (even if it's write protected) in the directory you're in
	 and every directory below it."

This is only true if you have write and search (execute) permission to the
directory of files that you are trying to remove.  The permissions of the
file itself have nothing to do with it, as is implied.  Superusers don't
casually screw around with 'rm -rf', or they aren't superusers for long.

	"Norton's undelete command makes restoring files to life a cinch" ...
	"All you need to do is type in 'nue filename' and the file will
	 be back.  Unlike DOS, however, this trick will only work on files
	 that have been deleted since you installed Norton."

Could this be because "nue" is a kludge that accomplishes file recovery
with smoke and mirrors?  If you said "Yes!", then you win a prize.  What
_does_ Norton do?

	"Norton's undelete command manages this black magic by storing
	 'removed' files to a hidden directory"

Now is this fucking ugly, or what?  They want me to spend money on this
trash when I can pump out a few lines in /etc/profile that accomplishes
the exact same thing?  If you want it in your code, then simply write
your own flavor of unlink().  They must be out of their minds to want money
for this tripe.

	"If deletion protection was the only thing that Norton Utilities
	 for System V did for you it would be with its $199 price."

You've got to be kidding me!  $199 for this trash?  Simply amazing.
But wait ... Steve's not done yet!

	"Many system administrators will be pleased with Norton disk
	 explorer, NDE.  This program makes disk and file-system
	 exploration and editing much easier." ...
	"Even the superblock, a Unix's file-system cornerstone, can
	 be edited."

Please say it ain't so.  Please!  Please!  Not yet another fantastic way
for the ignorant to trash their machines with yet another GUI.  I think
I'm going to be ill.

	"The goodies don't stop here.  Norton includes more than 10 other
	 usefull utilities.  There is, for example, NSE, Norton Shell
	 Enhancer.  This program provides a way to attach bells and
	 whistles to Unix shell programs."

Oh God.  Please.  Not another 'beep' command.  Haven't these idiots ever
noticed the 'tput' command?

	"For years, Norton Utilities has been a must-buy for DOS.  It's
	 now a must-buy for Unix users as well."

Pardon me while I vomit.  I'll be back shortly.

<< Flame Off >>

Disclaimer:  I have never used Norton Utilities, either under DOS or UNIX.
I never will.  Pete Norton should stick to playing with his PC's, and
leave the UNIX world alone.  This is _my_ opinion, not my company's, and
I say this with great pride.
--
Michael Stefanik                       | Opinions stated are not even my own.
Systems Engineer, Briareus Corporation | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike