DCL and EDT for Unix?

Dave Sill de5 at ornl.gov
Wed Jun 19 22:21:16 AEST 1991

In article <91169.171310SCHDAVZ at YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>, SCHDAVZ at YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Dave Schweisguth) writes:
>I'd like to find clones of VMS' DCL and EDT (and/or TPU) for a Personal Iris.
>Identical look-n'feel is a BIG
>priority, since we have here a large group of Vax users who (quite rightly)
>want to spend as little time as possible learning how to use another #$%@&
>computer ...

This is the wrong approach.  Attempting to hide UNIX from your users
with a mask of VMS will only lead to frustration in the long run.
There will be lots of picky little incompatibilities, forcing
everything through a VMS model is inefficient, and you won't be able
to take advantage of the features of UNIX that make it worthwhile.

I suggest you all bite the bullet and learn your new systems, rather
than trying to make them look like your old systems.  Vive la
difference.

--
Dave Sill (de5 at ornl.gov)	  Tug on anything in nature and you will find
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    it connected to everything else.