Is my shell broken or what?

Boyd Roberts boyd at prl.dec.com
Wed Jun 19 19:56:01 AEST 1991

In article <3528 at unisoft.UUCP>, greywolf at unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) writes:

> Is rc publicly available?  I seem to remember seeing it fly around...

Yes, it was posted to comp.sources.misc in May.  It's the Tom Duff
Plan 9 shell written by Byron Rakitzis <byron at archone.tamu.edu>.

You'll need an ANSI compiler, but it compiles and works fine.
I have it going on my 3max and VAXen at PRL.  It's small and
it's fast and the code _can be understood by one person_.

I think Byron is going to release the next version soon.
There have been some minor bugs which have been fixed.

It's real neat:

  prl313 ; '<3528 at unisoft.UUCP>, greywolf at unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf)'=foo
  prl313 ; echo $'<3528 at unisoft.UUCP>, greywolf at unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf)'
  foo

All the quoting woes are gone.  Things are evaluated only one.  There
is only type of quote, '...', and backslash is used only to quote new-lines.
Getting a single quote inside a quoted string is a bit weird, though.

UNIX signals are functions, which really cleans up the way signal
handling is done.

Boyd Roberts			boyd at prl.dec.com

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''