Stupid question...

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Tue May 28 10:48:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991May27.225630.18310 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> ljcummings at poppy.uwaterloo.ca writes:

>   Hi! This is a stupid question I know.. but somehow I've created a file
>called !* in my bin directory.  How do I get rid of it?
>
>I've tried placing it in quotes (single and double) and mv'ing it to a
>new filename.. nothing seems to work.
>
>======
>
>Script started on Mon May 27 18:49:41 1991
>@@_temp: Command not found.
>_temp: Undefined variable.
>% pwd
>% ls -l
>total 3
>-rw-------  1 ljcummings           0 Apr 16 15:31 !*
>-rwx------  1 ljcummings         142 Apr 16 15:30 arm
>-rw-------  1 ljcummings        1060 Apr 24 15:17 longrun.c
>-rw-------  1 ljcummings           0 May 27 18:49 test
>% rm !*
>rm -l
>rm: unknown option letter 'l'
>% rm '!*'
>rm '-l'

>   I don't normally read this group, so e-mail will be preferred, (though
>  I'll check here anyways.).  Thanks muchly!

The problem is that ! substitution occurrs even within single quotes. You
need to escape the !, like this:

% rm '\!8'

			-Kartik

--
internet% ypwhich

subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU -| Internet
kartik at silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)
SUBBARAO at PUCC.BITNET			          - Bitnet