Problem with time

Jay Maynard jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 8 09:51:17 AEST 1990

In article <678 at seer.UUCP> fred at seer.uucp (Glen Collins) writes:
>I am running microport V/AT v2.4 and I'm having a problem with Smail and
>uucp. When uucp and Smail are run from cron(uucp) it thinks that i'm on
>the east coast (time wise). Is this a problem with my enviroment when
>cron runs it or is the problem with cron or what? I would like accurate
>logs of all transfers. When I do run uucp/uucico manually the time
>is correct. Have any others had this problem.

I had this one, too...the way I dealt with it was to add 'TZ=CST6CDT' to the
beginning of any command that cared about the time in the crontab file.

In article <1990Nov7.191619.1254 at msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> engelsma at buster.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) writes:
>As long as we are talking about problems with time... I also have a
>problem.   The system time appears to be an hour fast every 24 hours
>of running.  The battery backed time on my AT is correct.  Since I
>poll other machines on the hour it is kind of a pain.  I am
>running uport V/AT v2.4.

I had this problem too. There's a kernel variable, 'clocktic', that you can
patch to change the speed of the clock. Note that you'll never get it exactly
right, since the clock counter will vary based on the system load, but you can
at least get it close. What I did was set it to be slightly slow, and then add
a line to root's crontab that did 'date `/etc/setup -d`' every hour.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.