Problems with AHA1542B (DAMN BIOS !) and ISC 2.2 (won't boot !)

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Dec 19 11:27:13 AEST 1990

In article <1220 at aut.autelca.ascom.ch> nbladt at aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) writes:
>As you may guess, I have a big problem, here.
>After inserting the boot floppy for ISC 2.2 the text
>Booting the UNIX System...
>is shown on the screen, but that's it. The system just hangs
>after accessing the floppy several times.

There should be no problem using the adaptec with ISC unix.  Your problem
may be with some of the other cards in the system.

>I think, the main problem is, that there is NO HARDDISK info
>stored in the BIOS (CMOS) data area. The setup shows

This is the way SCSI works.  ISC can (and has on several systems that
we have installed) find the SCSI devices attached to both adaptec
and future domain controllers.

>Because we had a lot of problems with disks losing their information
>"can't read sector xyz", this could be a problem with the boot disk, too.

One thing you might want to make sure is that the video monitor is far
away from the machine while you are installing it.  We just ran into
a bunch of problems when installing a system with the monitor sitting
on top of the machine (tower case with outer casing off) all caused
by floppy errors. Moving the monitor to a desk as far away from the
machine as we could get it solved the problems (and the errors on
the floppy disks disappeared).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170