SCO Unix password scheme sucks!

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Fri Dec 14 15:47:20 AEST 1990

As quoted from <662 at hitachi.uucp> by jon at hitachi.uucp (Jon Ryshpan):
+---------------
| In article <36600 at cup.portal.com> ts at cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
| >> It's called security.  I don't know about your site, but some sites have
| >> to protect against breakins, and that means users have to use reasonable
| >> passwords, not stupid ones like "a".
|
| SysV Unix (at least Interactive) allows you to create a password
| without numerics or special chars for root or a system account at
| system initialization, but it won't allow a user account to have
| this kind of password.
|
| Explain that!

System V assumes the superuser knows what he's doing.  Possibly incorrect, but
hardcoding the requirements into passwd is no substitute for teaching these
fledgling sysadmins how to administer a system.  This is the same kind of
muddy thinking that leads to "security through obscurity" braindamage.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN