SCO Unix password scheme sucks!

Tom Fitzgerald fitz at wang.com
Sat Dec 22 13:00:25 AEST 1990

kherron at ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
> The point of my original posting was this:  If you're going to use
> passwords AT ALL then why go with a silly, unsecure one?

1)  Because you want to let people FTP into your system; and FTP insists
    on having a password for a user account.  (In some implementations of
    ftpd, anonymous ftp is broken).

2)  Because your Unix prompts for a password even if the password is blank,
    and you want to set up anonymous UUCP.  (Some implementations of UUCP
    have trouble sending blank lines in the chat script).

The long-term solution for both of these is to fix the software, but
sometimes you have to get some work done while you're waiting for the
fixed software to arrive.

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz at wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz