SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Sat Dec 1 17:13:44 AEST 1990

In article <2332 at cdin-1.UUCP> fred at cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) writes:
>The customer doesn't even know the difference. He didn't know beans about
>Xenix and he won't know beans about UNIX.
>He simply uses the menu to do real work.
>This whole discussion escapes me. From the end-user's, what's the difference?

Uhm, just because *your* customers don't see the difference doesn't mean
other customers don't, either.

For example, I just installed C News on kithrup, and initially could not
have automatic unbatching because spacefor wasn't being allowed to run df!
Why?  Because, even though kithrup is relaxed (*very* relaxed, almost dead
8-)), account news didn't get queryspace priviledges by default.

That's one of about a dozen or so things I've run into.

>>Switching from SCO to another vendor will be a painful experience.
>>We're trying to avoid it.  Still, if it must be done, it will be done.

Now, to make a counterpoint, I should point out that administering kithrup
is relatively easy.  I think I run into a uucp problem every once in a
while (but I'm fairly certain that that is a hardware problem [flaky modem],
not a software one), but that's about it.  Kithrup has crashed twice, once
because of misinstalling a tape drive (oops 8-(), and once for a still
unknown reason.  Running 3.2v2, kithrup is about as fast for most things as
it was when running Xenix, and faster in other things.  And I've got the
Rand Mail Handler running, with emacs, and job control, and networking.
Although I'd like to see the kernel smaller by about 500k, it still suits me
just fine.