SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Fred Rump fred at cdin-1.UUCP
Sat Dec 1 04:55:09 AEST 1990

chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>According to tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff):
>>In article <27519123.34A2 at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>>Unless we, the developers and users, keep the pressure on SCO, there
>>>will never be a C2-free version of "SCO Unix."  And that would be a
>>>pity.  Let's keep reminding them of what we want.

>It
>would be infinitely preferable to get a C2-free SCO UNIX, so we don't
>have to go through a massive changeover.

Somewhere along the line we are missing the problem.

So we're a SCO shop too. We've 'upgraded' some customers to SCO UNIX from
Xenix. We relaxed C2. So what's the big deal?

The customer doesn't even know the difference. He didn't know beans about
Xenix and he won't know beans about UNIX.

He simply uses the menu to do real work.

This whole discussion escapes me. From the end-user's, what's the difference?

>2.  Equal support for ISA and Micro Channel.

>Because of our business partners, who are Really Big Companies, we're
>stuck with the very conservative and non-negotiable stand that we
>*will* sell IBM hardware.  Thus we're stuck with the PS/2 Model 80.

Sorry about that. I guess our customers aren't really that big to insist on
labels just yet. In the small business world the onus seems to be on
cost-performance.

>3.  Support.

>No, SCO support isn't perfect.  But the fact remains that when they
>identify something as a bug, they fix it for free, and they put the

Not so fast here. Some of our reported bugs are several years old. But, in
general, I agree. Without proper support we'd be dead in the water. This is
probably one of SCO's biggest operating expenses and their prices reflect some
of this.

>CONCLUSION:

>Switching from SCO to another vendor will be a painful experience.
>We're trying to avoid it.  Still, if it must be done, it will be done.

Whatever SCO does will still be the product that drives the market and others
will adjust to it. Witness any compatibility 'arrangement' and who's involved.

At this point we feel perfectly comfortable going with the flow of SCO.
I will let the hackers argue bits and bytes but the bottom line is what counts
to make their paychecks out every week.

To me it seems that there is some safety in numbers.
Fred
--
Fred Rump              | Home of Brother John Software
CompuData, Inc.        |