Microport SVR4 Offer

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Thu Dec 20 11:53:43 AEST 1990

As quoted from <1990Dec18.233846.3379 at ico.isc.com> by rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn):
+---------------
| duc at mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) writes:
| > Microport is now offering a 25% discount on any SVR4 purchase to owners
| > of ANY Unix/Xenix system...
| > ...The offer is good for
| > any 286 version as well as 386 version.
|
| Does this mean there's a SVR4 for the 286?!?  Far out!  I've been wondering
| what to do with my old machine, since attempts to upgrade it have failed.
| Or does it mean I can send in my old diskettes *and* CPU, and get SVR4 and
| a CPU upgrade?  [Sorry (sort of:-)...]
+---------------

Speaking of oddball systems and good Unixes....

No 386 Unix in existence supports XT clones with Inboard 386 or similar
upgrade cards, primarily because of the hard drive.  But interrupts, etc. are
often configurable.  I don't expect to get a screaming machine out of it,
obviously (an 8-bit bus won't deliver too well), but I'd like to know if I can
make a 386 Unix (preferably SVR4) work on an XT clone with an Inboard-386 by
changing interrupts or other configurables, or is there something else changed/
missing/interfering that makes use of XT hard drives impractical/impossible?

Of course, with a maximum of 3MB memory in the Inboard, there's some limits to
what I can accomplish anyway.  But I want to get off of DOS and I can't afford
to dump a few thousand on a new computer *plus* a thousand or so for Unix.
(And the upgrade offers don't help mitigate the cost since I can't run 286/386
Unix on here now.)

Anyone know what can be accomplished in this case?

Please reply via mail, chances are nobody else is interested....

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN