sendmail broken??

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Mon Dec 10 20:48:10 AEST 1990

In <1990Dec5.084730.5227 at santra.uucp> tsh at hila.hut.fi (Timo Hyvonen) writes:

>I get these to my /usr/adm/lpd-errs -file. System is Interactive 386/ix 2.0.2.

>Dec  5 10:57:07 localhost sendmail[7967]: 4 aliases, longest 16 bytes, 74 bytes total
>Dec  5 11:27:07 localhost sendmail[7973]: 4 aliases, longest 16 bytes, 74 bytes total

>Where should I start looking for the reason? This happens every now and then
>and really randomly, there seems to be no real reason for it - it just starts
>one day and continues until I boot the machine. I should really get rid of
>this error, there's gonna be another sysadmin in the system and he is not
>even this much experienced. And that's not a lot.

This isn't an error, this is your sendmail daemon waking up every half-hour
to scan the queue and deliver mail. The message goes in lpd-errs 'cos ISC
didn't bother to rewrite the syslogd.conf file to make it do something
sensible. If you lookup syslog and hack at said file, you can get rid
of this message since I guess it's at something like LOG_INFO level i.e.
not very interesting !!
Here's mine for information
--------------------------------Cut Here--------------------------------------
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice			/dev/console
kern.debug;daemon,auth.notice;*.err;mail.crit	/usr/adm/messages
lpr.debug					/usr/adm/lpd-errs
daemon.debug					/usr/adm/daemon-errs
mail.debug					/usr/spool/mqueue/syslog

*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err			root,tim

*.emerg						*
You can remove the mail.debug if you like.
Hope this helps,
Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"