ISC2.2 DOSSETTE BROKEN AGAIN - old news?

Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware gsteckel at vergil.East.Sun.COM
Sun Dec 9 15:53:29 AEST 1990

>In article <36634 at cup.portal.com> DeadHead at cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>>The ISC2.2 Dossette will NOT recognize any 1.2 mb floppy that is formated
>>by any REAL command.com. Is this old news? The ISC2.0.2 Dossette works
>>with the 1.2MB disk. Everytime I try to access the 1.2MB disk with
>>2.2 dossette, it complains about the diskette not being present. Is there
>>a way to get around this? The VPIX that comes with ISC2.2 also does not
>>recognize the 1.2 diskette - even when I tell it that B disk is using
>>/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt. (But, the dossette can FORMAT a 1.2 diskette... strange)

I've seen this problem repeatedly on my system.  It seems to have
something to do with the automatic format recognition (360K/1.2M) code.
My current workaround is to `od /dev/rdsk/f0q15dt' - use the device
name that explicitly matches the floppy format.  Once the system
has been forcibly told what density/format the floppy is, it seems
to work correctly until shutdown.  It also seems to correctly auto
detect format on subsequent floppies.

I hope this information is useful to someone.
	geoff steckel (gwes at wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.