ISC2.2 DOSSETTE BROKEN AGAIN - old news?

Richard Karasik richard at octel.UUCP
Sat Dec 8 10:16:55 AEST 1990

In article <36634 at cup.portal.com> DeadHead at cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>The ISC2.2 Dossette will NOT recognize any 1.2 mb floppy that is formated
>by any REAL command.com. Is this old news? The ISC2.0.2 Dossette works
>with the 1.2MB disk. Everytime I try to access the 1.2MB disk with
>2.2 dossette, it complains about the diskette not being present. Is there
>a way to get around this? The VPIX that comes with ISC2.2 also does not
>recognize the 1.2 diskette - even when I tell it that B disk is using
>/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt. (But, the dossette can FORMAT a 1.2 diskette... strange)

This is a known problem with ISC and has nothing to do with format.

As of this writing ISC hasn';t the faintest idea why it breaks.

usually looks like

FD0 not present  blah bla blha

the work around is to put another scratch diskette into the drive, and
cat * >/dev/fd0
where * is any number of files -sometimes one character will work sometimes
100K.  At the comclusion of this, put your
original diskette back in and try again to get your info on or off.

It seems that cat >/dev/fd0 heals the wound temporarily.

(BOY is this a corker).

Richard karasik
richard at octel.com