SCO doesn't sell UNIX

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Dec 10 08:13:36 AEST 1990

In article <2545 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  Since the average installation has neither a requirement (as in
>government) nor a desire for C2, I wouldn't bet the future of my company
>on it. The is a definite desire for greater security, but C2 is only one
>set of solutions to the problems.

Many of the features in the C2/B1 area are highly desireable to
commercial installations.  MAC alone would make many managers
feel better knowing that the level "employee" is dominated by
the level "manager" and that their personnel files are safer.

>  The problems are real, but the market will not choose high overhead
>solutions while alternatives are possible.

Correct - it is the bizarre, value-less restrictions which are
being enforced here that people are objecting to.  AIX v3.1
was "designed to meet" C2, yet it's "su" and "crontab" commands
have none of the value-less restrictions you see with SCO UNIX.
I wrote someone a note quoting parts from the C2 criteria and
said "Where does it say you have to be a pain in the ass?".
That sums it up perfectly.

Shameless-plug time, but the shadow login package which I've
been posting parts of gives most of the features people really
want - secure passwords, login restrictions, nice password
expiration, etc., but fits right on top of a vanilla UNIX SVRx
implementation.  If I could just get someone to send me a 386
with SCO UNIX loaded on it, I might be pursuaded to port the
code to that environment.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org