UNIX on fast PC's <was: UHC Migration Offer>

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Thu Dec 13 03:13:59 AEST 1990

tas at dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

>The stuff I've tried (latest and greatest) still doesn't work on fast
>cpu's.  33Mhz Acers and 486/25Mhz Alrs machine have all had numerous panics.
>If you slow the CPU down below 25mhz (386) all the SVR4 ports (AT&T, UHC,
>Microport) that I've tried seem to work ok.

	In a recent discussion involving resource requirements with someone
from SCO, I was told of very positive results running the Northgate 386/33
tower. No problems noted, and exceptional performance - better, in fact,
than an unnamed, but big-name 486/25. I know it's just hearsay, but it
does suggest that, just because ALR and Acer may not be solid enough to
work others in their class suffer the same limitations.