sysadm backup error

Jay Ts jay at metran.UUCP
Sun Dec 23 11:25:50 AEST 1990

In article <159 at xyzoom.UUCP>, rob at xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) writes:
> In ISC 2.2:
> I'm unable to do incremental backups of /usr/spool (separate filesystem)
> because the history file 'xxxusr/spool' is not being written to
> /etc/save.d/timestamp when I do complete backups of /usr/spool.
> The error is being reported thusly when I run 'sysadm filemgmt backup'

Sorry to put it this way, but I think the real "error" is to use sysadm
for backups.  I got bitten when I finally needed to restore a file, and
found out that they are written on the backup medium with *absolute*
pathnames!  Uuuurrrrrkkkkk!!!  You might want to check the version you
are using to see about this potential problem-waiting-to-happen.

Now, I just do backups with

	cd /; find . -print | cpio -ocavB >/dev/{tapedevice}

	   ^_or /usr/spool, or whatever...

You can use various options to find (i.e., for incrementals) and cpio,
and write a simple shellscript to suit your specific needs.

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay