SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Dec 11 09:58:30 AEST 1990

>Or how about instead of silently truncating a file name > 14
>characters, giving you a nice big fat error in the middle of a make or
>something until you clear a flag?

"Good enough for government work".

POSIX allows either behavior, but, as I remember from previous
discussions of this topic, the FIPS ((US) Federal Information Processing
Standard) based on POSIX 1003.1 requires the ENAMETOOLONG error for
this.

The most you could conceivably blame SCO for is not having a switch that
lets users who don't care about the FIPS select the traditional behavior
(or for deciding not to blow off government business)....