'386 Unix Wars

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Fri Dec 28 10:28:45 AEST 1990

In article <2829 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In <350 at metran.UUCP> jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>
> >Nonsense.  AT&T's manual set for System V/386 r3.2 (published by Prentice
> >Hall) work fine for ESIX.  You can order them from you local bookstore.
>
> Two problems.  1.  AT&T's manauls do not include anything about
> sendmail, TCP/IP, and associated programs such as remsh, ftp, rlogin,
> and slconfig.  2. AT&T's manuals are generally of poor quality.

Well, since AT&T didn't bundle any of the TCP stuff into UNIX System V
Release 3.2, I don't doubt the manuals are devoid of information about
it.  If you have the manuals for the Networking package, I think
you'll find further information.  Certainly ESIX and ISC deliver
supplementary manuals for this stuff when you buy the appropriate
package.

As for the AT&T quality, you obviously have narrow experience with
computer manuals.  They are of relatively high quality, being
reasonably free of bugs, and reasonably complete, and have
understandable organization.  They are certainly orders of magnitude
better than the SysVr2.2 manuals!
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada