'386 Unix Wars

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Dec 24 05:57:31 AEST 1990

In article <879 at visenix.UUCP> beattie at visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) writes:

| ->
| ->For business purposes I recommend SCO.  Although I personally haven't
|
| With *GAG* C2 security from *cough* secureWare?

  The discussion, had you followed it before posting, was about Xenix
for business use. I agree, for people who want to use their system
instead of play with it, Xenix is fine. It runs a hugh number of
applications, and is reliable. It also handles more peripherals than any
other version I've seen.

| ->Also available, still in beta-test (though they call it a "production
| ->release") is System V Release 4.  I would wait another year, but by
|
| at least a year

  If you want beauty, wait that year. If you want a system which doesn
panic, V.4 is pretty fine right now. The documentation is somewhat
sparse, but other than that it looks good.

| ->
| ->So, although the picture looks pretty bleak right now for UNIX on the
| ->386, things should improve when SVR4 stabilizes (and, I hope, becomes
|
| I think it is just fine.  I would guess that the main problem you have
| with the 386 UNIX's is the lack of BSD features.

  Having used BSD, SunOS and Ultrix on a regular basis for some years, I
fail to identify these features which I'm supposed to miss. The only
feature I regularly find useful is symbolic links, and that's usually
used to get around poor system administration.

  What else is supposed to be so useful?
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX