remote access login??

Christoph Splittgerber chris at alderan.uucp
Sun Dec 9 01:58:32 AEST 1990

In article <275956f6-157comp.unix.sysv386 at vpnet.chi.il.us> ron at vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) writes:

>When I do a ps, I see uugetty sitting happily on /dev/tty00. When
>I phone the computer, however, the modem answers with a tone, but
>then hangs. From that time on, uugetty is gone, but there is a
>login going on the port instead. If I look at the modem, the RD and
>SD lights are blinking rapidly, or continous, casuing me to believe
>that somehow the modem itself is responding to the login prompt or
>something. []

Looks to me that your uugetty is spawning the "login:" prompt to your
modem when it gets the "RING"-message from your hayes. At this point
your modem still tries to establish the connection (you don't have the
"CONNECT"-msg yet) and the "login:"-prompt causes the modem to hang up
again. From there on your modem is back in the command modus and keeps
echoing all characters it receives and your uugetty is talking to it's
own echo and talking and talking and talking and ...
You can get around this by not taking /dev/tty00 but the same line with
modem control (see your manual or the FAQ in this newsgroup) and configure
your hayes that the DCD-sig. listens to the remote carrier. In this case
uugetty will hang at open until the connection to the remote modem is
established and the "login:"-prompt will go to where it should go.

Hope this helps,  Chris