remote access login??

Michael Almond mra at srchtec.UUCP
Thu Dec 6 12:58:17 AEST 1990

In article <275956f6-157comp.unix.sysv386 at vpnet.chi.il.us> ron at vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) writes:

>Hello everyone,
>	I am having a problem getting remote access to function on
>my 386, running Unix System V, version 3.2.3. Ok, here is the deal.
>When I phone the computer, however, the modem answers with a tone, but
>then hangs.

Sounds like you have a flow control problem.  If any characters are sent to
the modem before "CONNECT" occurs, the modem will hang up.  This is similar
to when you dial out using "ATD" and hit return before you get "CONNECT".
On T2500 you can disable this "feature", on the Hayes you'll probably need
to get the flow control working properly (hardware (CTS) is best).

>If I look at the modem, the RD and SD lights are blinking rapidly...

Your computer is probably sending repeated XON's (not real sure about this
one).  I'm not real familar with System V (we use Ultrix here), maybe
someone can help you get hardware flow control running.

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra at srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development