can I run SCO UNIX (SYSV not XENIX) on a sx

josef Moellers josef at nixpbe.nixdorf.de
Wed Dec 12 18:37:09 AEST 1990

In <9952 at darkstar.ucsc.edu> iago at ucscb.UCSC.EDU (tsource) writes:

>I am going to be buying a sco unix machine that is a sx. I can not afford
>a larger machine.  SCO said they never tried on a sx but shaw no reson why
>not, but refused to let me talk to one their tech people.  So I am stuck
>asking here if I have enough drive (40-meg) and enough ram at least 4 meg.
>Will it work.  Also is the 4-meg mesured by word size or is it 4 megx8
>not 4megx16 or 4mrgx32.

One of my colleagues (sp?) has SCO ???? running on his sx box and it
looks fine.
40Meg disk is a little low, but with a bare-bone system You might get
away with it. If, however, You want to install things like ODT (or X),
look out for BIG disks (we use 2x76MB, and they're almost full).
4MB mem might be fine, the OS takes "only" about 2 MB, depending on the
number of features You enable (STREAMS, ...)

--
| Josef Moellers		| c/o Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG |
|  USA: mollers.pad at nixdorf.com	| Abt. STO-XS 113			     |