Microport SVR4 Offer

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Mon Dec 24 08:05:38 AEST 1990

As quoted from <6465 at crash.cts.com> by jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau):
+---------------
| allbery at NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
| >Speaking of oddball systems and good Unixes....
| >
| >No 386 Unix in existence supports XT clones with Inboard 386 or similar
| >upgrade cards, primarily because of the hard drive.  But interrupts, etc. are
| >often configurable.  I don't expect to get a screaming machine out of it,
| >obviously (an 8-bit bus won't deliver too well), but I'd like to know if I can
| >make a 386 Unix (preferably SVR4) work on an XT clone with an Inboard-386 by
| >changing interrupts or other configurables, or is there something else changed/
| >missing/interfering that makes use of XT hard drives impractical/impossible?
|
| To my knowledge.  All you can do is run SCO Xenix.  Xenix supports the
| Inboard 386.  But I don't know about how well the Inboard 386/PC works.
+---------------

A common misconception.  Xenix/386 supports the Inboard-386/AT *only*.  It
does *not* support the 386/PC because there's no CMOS and hard disk driver
differences.  I'm trying to find out from people who are familiar with hard
disk drivers for both XT and AT-class machines if there's some way to fake it.
There ARE no out-of-the-box solutions, I'm looking for out-and-out hacks (of
the build-it-with-an-axe sort).

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN