Microport SVR4 Offer

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Sun Dec 23 08:16:10 AEST 1990

allbery at NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
>Speaking of oddball systems and good Unixes....
>
>No 386 Unix in existence supports XT clones with Inboard 386 or similar
>upgrade cards, primarily because of the hard drive.  But interrupts, etc. are
>often configurable.  I don't expect to get a screaming machine out of it,
>obviously (an 8-bit bus won't deliver too well), but I'd like to know if I can
>make a 386 Unix (preferably SVR4) work on an XT clone with an Inboard-386 by
>changing interrupts or other configurables, or is there something else changed/
>missing/interfering that makes use of XT hard drives impractical/impossible?
>
>Of course, with a maximum of 3MB memory in the Inboard, there's some limits to
>what I can accomplish anyway.  But I want to get off of DOS and I can't afford
>to dump a few thousand on a new computer *plus* a thousand or so for Unix.
>(And the upgrade offers don't help mitigate the cost since I can't run 286/386
>Unix on here now.)
>
>Anyone know what can be accomplished in this case?

To my knowledge.  All you can do is run SCO Xenix.  Xenix supports the
Inboard 386.  But I don't know about how well the Inboard 386/PC works.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca