Running DOS Programs while under UNIX

Thomas Hoberg tmh at bigfoot.FOKUS.GMD.DBP.DE
Tue Dec 4 13:01:24 AEST 1990

In article <16067 at bfmny0.BFM.COM>, tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

|> Unfortunately, as 286 and 386 machines come to dominate the marketplace,
|> more and more application programs are taking the trouble to [yecch]
|> CHECK what CPU they're running on, and run different code as a result.
|> The problem is that a program running in V86 mode can do certain 386
|> tests *successfuly*, leading it to believe (erroneously) that it's OK to
|> run the full gamut of protected mode stuff -- which promptly bombs MERGE
|> or VP/ix.  A prime example is Windows 3.0.  DESPITE the fact that it
|> runs just fine on a *real* 8086/88, and DESPITE the explicit /R switch
|> they give you to FORCE it to use 8086/88 mode on any CPU, it **STILL**
|> thinks it's smarter than you and checks for that 386 chip!  Wham, instant
|> death.  What a hair tearer.
If that's the only reason a session with the debugger should do it. However
that's not really a solution, as Windows in 'real' mode isn't at it's best
(even with EMS). I heard some rumors that Unix vendors are looking into
DPMI (Dos Protected Mode Interface). With DPMI functionality integrated into
the Unix Kernel and a GDI-to-X interface, running Windows applications under
Unix would be a natural rather than a kludge. Maybe it's time to ask your
Unix vendor about DPMI.....
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub at tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET at DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh at tub.BITNET