hardware requirements

Kevin L. McBride klm at gozer.UUCP
Sat Dec 15 16:16:40 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec3.162251.19808 at oct1.UUCP> mason at oct1.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>Did Ken mean a numeric or a graphic co-processor.  I thought he meant
>numeric.  Can anybody tell me if a '387 makes a difference with ISC
>2.2 X?  If yes, then some quantitative numbers would help.

I don't have any numbers for you but, yes, having a '387 DOES make a
difference when running X on ISC UNIX.  ISC's server (as most generic
X11R3 servers do) relies heavily on floating point.  If you're
emulating every screen update, you lose.

I have seen two Intel 303s running side by side; one with a '387, one
without, and you could definitely tell the difference.

My system is a '486 and it hums right along, even without the graphics
coprocessor.

>Are graphics co-processor cards avaliable for ISC 2.2 X on a '386?
>Any particular types recommended?

NEC has a graphics engine that has (I believe) a TI 340x0 chip on it.
Drivers available for ISC from GSS.  A bit pricey.  You also need
a pricey monitor to hook up to it.

Another alternative is the Paradise 8514 card.  I'm running one of
these and it really helps speed up things like Motif shadow drawing,
refreshing exposed areas of xterms (I'm constantly shuffling among 4
or 5 xterm windows, not to mention emacs), etc.  Best thing about the
8514 is that it's pretty reasonably priced.  It's not the fanciest
board in town but it gives you a respectable amount of bang for the
buck.  I'm happy with it.

>Sorry if this is a simple question, but I've only got a Herculies for my
>X (sniff).

Ick.  That brings back horrible memories.  Maybe Santa will bring you
a Paradise VGA1024 with an 8514 piggyback card for Christmas.

--
Kevin L. McBride     |Contract programming (on and offsite)   |Brewmeister and
President            |X, Motif, TCP/IP, UNIX, VAX/VMS,        |Bottle Washer