Legality Status of Thomas Roell's X11R4 server

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Thu Dec 13 13:22:23 AEST 1990

james at bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>I confess that I was disappointed to learn that your server was
>tainted by illegal source access.  It seems almost gratuitous:
>virtually none of your work in the X server could use material derived
>from AT&T source.  Why throw the entire issue into doubt over ldterm?
>The server would have been a very good piece of work even without the
>AT&T sources & ldterm change.

what i understood is, that the server itself is *not* derived from
(includes part of) the ldterm source. it's just that the server has problems
with the OS(es) that have a bug in ldterm. if you can get your
vendor to fix the bug (or your OS doesn't have that bug),
you can use the *pure* server code without problems.

however, there might be a little conflict of interests for
the vendor, if he'd rather like to sell you his server.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: